February 27, 2009

We're Having a Luau Tonight!!!

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday - it's the big 40! So, tonight we are having a luau with a bunch of friends. I have kalua pig cooking in my roaster pan and since I don't have any banana leaves, I am taking the suggestion in the recipe and putting whole bananas on top of the meat to get the banana leaf flavor. Hopefully, this is a good compromise. I also made coconut pudding (haupia) and guava cake. I cheated and bought King's Hawaiian bread from our local grocery store. I will be making non-alcoholic tropical smoothies for our fun drink decorated with a tropical straw and umbrella.
The friends that are coming to our luau are each bringing a Hawaiian side dish. I left it open to their imagination. I'm excited to see their creativity since most of them have never been to Hawaii. It could be interesting. Everyone was told to dress in Hawaiian shirts and the tackier the better. I will try and post pictures here later. Now, if only my house was clean!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails